Prof. Karen Wiltshire is the Vice-Director of Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research and Head of Biological Station Helgoland and Wadden Sea Station Sylt. She is also a Professor of Marine Geosciences at Jacobs University Bremen and AWI Head of PACES TOPIC “COASTS”. Prof. Wiltshire is the incoming chair for POGO and will take up the role in 2015.
Prof. Wiltshire gained her Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Hamburg, and held positions at the Institute of Chemistry, Geethacht; the Gatty Marine Laboratory, University of St. Andrews; the Max Planck Institute of Limnology, Germany; and the University of Kiel before joining the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research.
In addition Prof. Wiltshire is an Advisory Board Member of the following:
• Member of the United Nations Pool of Experts of the Regular Process to help in the production of World Ocean Assessment Report.
• Member of Scientific Advisory Board on Decommissioning for Oil and Gas, St. Andrews University of Scotland, UK
• Vice- Chairperson of Scientific Reviewing Board for the J.v.Thünen Institute.
• Advisor in Waddensea Strategy for climate change to Ministerium für Energiewende, Landwirtschaft, Umwelt und ländliche Räume, S.Holstein Germany.
• Member of Scientific Advisory Board of the Netherlands Institute for Sea Research, NL.
• Member of Scientific Advisory Board Leibnitz-Institut für Gewässerökologie und Binnenfischerei.
• Member of Scientific Advisory Board Leibnitz-Institut Museum für Naturkunde, Berlin.
• Member of Scientific Reviewing Board for the Leibnitz-Institut für Ostseeforschung Warnemünde (IOW).
• Member of Scientific Reviewing Board for the Institut für Vogelforschung.
• Member of Scientific Reviewing Board for CLISAP-Hamburg.
• Board member (Founding member) of the strategic Nord-West Verbund for Coastal Science Germany.
Prof. Wiltshire is also a Scientific Reviewer for:
• Irish Environmental Graduate Programme, Advisory Board.
• Irish Marine Board.
• The Swedish Science Council.
• Lands Niedersachsen.& Schleswig Holstein.
• German Science Foundation.
• Alexander-von-Humboldt-Stiftung, Berlin.
• DFG Senatkommission für Ozeanographie.
• Reviewer for NERC-UK and ESF.