Welcome to POGO
Resourceful microbes reign in world’s oceans
A research team led by Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences has discovered that marine microbes are adapted to very narrow and specialized niches in their environment. This may explain why so few of these microbes—usually less than 1%—can be grown for study in the laboratory. By utilizing new genetic tools, the researchers’ ability to read and interpret genetic information from the remaining 99% will be pivotal in detecting and mitigating the impact of human activities in the ocean. Funded by the National Science Foundation, the study was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America this week.
The final report of the Expert Group on Marine Research Infrastructure is available
There is value in a coordinated development and utilisation of MRIs at European or regional seas' levels. Sea-related challenges and processes do not stop at maritime borders; they require a concerted approach at the regional, European and even global scales.
There are synergies and savings in the coordinated development and utilisation of MRIs at European or regional seas' levels and in ensuring shared and free access to the data they produce.
PML and KIOST join forces on new ocean investigations.
Beaches littered with bottles and other plastic waste are an all too common sight; less obvious, but still widespread on many coastlines, are the so-called mermaids’ tears - tiny plastic beads used as the raw material in the manufacture of larger items, which have entered the marine realm and are now almost ubiquitous. Yet even these are still large compared to the microplastics (less than 1mm) which can enter the marine environment and be a threat to even the smallest marine creatures.
Faculty position in Biological, Chemical or Physical Oceanography, Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences
The Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (BIOS) invites applications for a faculty position in Biological, Chemical or Physical Oceanography.
Marine Biogeochemical Modelling 3 Year Research Fellowship, Kiel, Germany
The GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel, invites applications for a 3-year Research Fellowship (with possible extension by 3 more years) in the research unit "Marine Biogeochemical Modelling".